Research of Interest
The International Association for Fire Safety Science (IAFSS) sponsors the world’s premier symposium for the dissemination and discussion of peer reviewed scientific research focused on the prevention and mitigation of fire losses. As part of the program of the 12th IAFSS Symposium to be held on June 12 – 16, 2017 at the Lund University, Sweden (http://www.iafss2017.se), you are invited to submit a poster that advances the basic understanding and presents or advances new ideas on any topic in the entire spectrum of fire safety science.
Posters will be presented during one or two dedicated sessions to allow authors to exhibit and discuss recently completed work or work in progress, including new and relatively underdeveloped concepts. Students are especially encouraged to submit posters for presentation. The poster session(s) is (are) designed to foster a collegial environment where authors and attendees can discuss their research interests and make or renew relationships to help foster collaboration.
Poster abstracts will be accepted on the basis of their quality and originality in the science of fire safety and its applications. The material presented in Poster Sessions will not be published in the Proceedings of the 12th IAFSS Symposium. The abstracts of the posters will be posted online by May 15, 2017.
Fire Science Image
Building on previous successes in recent symposia, the program of the 12th IAFSS Symposium will also include a Fire Science Image competition and you are invited to submit an image that may correspond to experimental studies, numerical studies or actual events. Images should be non-commercial. Images will be displayed on a designated display board. Images should be between A5 (148 mm x 210 mm) and A4 (210 mm x 297 mm) in size.
Posters and images presented at the 12th IAFSS Symposium will be considered for the following 3 Awards:
- Best Poster Award – Awarded to the best poster based on technical content, organization, and visual presentation. The selection will be made by the poster awards committee.
- Best Student Poster Award – Awarded to the best poster by a student author based on technical content, organization, and visual presentation. The selection will be made by the poster awards committee.
- Graphic Image Award – Awarded to the best fire image based on originality, scientific significance, and artistic/aesthetic appeal.
- Posters: Must be original work.
- Abstracts: Are limited to 1 page maximum.
- Style: All posters and poster abstracts must be in English and use SI units.
- Display Presentation: Presentation of posters will be made during 1 or 2 dedicated sessions held at the Symposium. Authors will be offered a standard A0-size display space, 84 cm wide and 119 cm high (33” x 47”). Authors are expected to be in attendance at their poster during the session.
Submitting Your Poster Abstracts
- One page abstracts should be submitted electronically, beginning January 31, 2017 through the Symposium author web page located on the IAFSS website (http://www.iafss.org).
- Submission deadline for posters is March 31, 2017. Posters submitted after this date will not be considered.
Poster Review Process
- Poster abstracts will be reviewed by the Program Committee.
- Authors will be notified of the Program Committee’s decision by April 15, 2017.
- Notification may include reviewers’ comments.
Fire Image Competition Requirements
- Images: Must be original work.
- Style: Images may correspond to experimental studies, numerical studies or actual events.
- Caption: A brief figure caption describing the image is expected to accompany the images. Captions are limited to 100 words. The submitter should include name and affiliation with the caption, but this information is not included in the word count.
- Display Presentation: Submitters will be offered a standard A3-size display space, 30 cm wide and 42 cm high, for their image, caption, name and affiliation. The maximum image size is A4 (297 mm x 210 mm). Submitters are not required to be in attendance at their image during the session.
Submitting Your Image
- Images and captions should be submitted electronically beginning April 1, 2017 through the Symposium author web page located on the IAFSS website (http://www.iafss.org). The image format should be jpg, png, or bmp. The maximum image size for review is 1 Mbyte.
- Submission deadline for images is May 15, 2017. Images submitted after this date will not be considered.
Images Review Process
- Images will be reviewed by the Poster Program Committee.
- Submitters will be notified of the Poster Program Committee’s decision by May 31, 2017
Posters and images Key dates
- March 31, 2017 – Submission Deadline for
- Poster Abstracts
- April 15, 2017 – Poster Abstract Acceptance
- May 15, 2017 – Poster Abstract for Web Posting
- May 15, 2017 – Image submission Deadline
- May 31, 2017 – Image Acceptance
Posters and images can be submitted via the link on the IAFSS website: http://www.iafss.org
If you would like more information on either the Poster or Fire Science Image events at the 12th IAFSS Symposium, please contact Prof. Naian Liu (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Download the 12th_IAFSS_Symposium_Call_for_papers_and_images